What’s a VoIP phone? The MANY business benefits of internet phones
Okay then, what is a VoIP phone system? You’ve no doubt heard about this fancy new tech being talked about in the business world.
But is it worth it? Absolutely! VoIP is superfast business comms at a great price, saving you money in the long-term. Let’s take a closer look at the benefits.
What’s a VoIP phone system?
A VoIP phone is a system that uses voice over internet protocol to provide business telecoms handled over the internet. Simply put, it’s how you make calls over the internet rather than using older technology.
In the past, you might have used a public switched telephone network (PSTN) or Integrated Digital Network (ISDN). It’s a good idea to drop these in favour of VoIP, because in 2025 there’s the great ISDN switch off.
So, it’s a good idea to get sorted now with a VoIP system. It’ll future-proof your business.
You’re going to need to do it over the next few years, so now’s the time to start looking into it. The tech is low-cost to run and has all sorts of features that make working life a lot easier, too. We’ll get into all that further below in this guide! But first…
How does a VoIP phone system work?
VoIP, or the IP phone system as it’s also referred to, allows voice and data to be sent through one internet connection at the same time. The tech does this by:
Turning the live sound of voices, plus multimedia including images and other file types, into digital packets of code.
These are then sent across the internet and decoded at the other end in nanoseconds.
You can do this with a desk phone with the right Internet Protocol (IP) software on it. Or specific VoIP software on a computer.
With a lot of VoIP systems there is a third option, which is simply to use a browser. This option of using VoIP with no specialist software at all is ideal for some small businesses.
The suitability of VoIP phone systems for small businesses in the UK
The main thing to keep in mind is VoIP systems are cheaper to use, lowering your business overhead, while also offering much better features.
Again, because of the ISDN shut off in 2025 (when your normal phones won’t work anymore), you’ll need to plan ahead for this anyway.
Simply put, small businesses will have to find a new phone system.
And it just so happens VoIP is an ideal and immediate solution. A VoIP phone system for small businesses will modernise your business immediately and help you do business better than ever.
The best VoIP service providers in the UK
Whether you’re looking for the best tech on the market or the cheapest UK VoIP provider, your best bet is to compare the market. There are multiple providers to choose from!
They’re all great providers and offer different perks and tech. Which one suits your business depends on your specific needs.
And that’s why it’s important to compare the market. It’s free to do. But it’ll also find you the ideal deal for your exact needs.
Prepare NOW for the 2025 switch off
In 2025 across the UK, VoIP will be the only type of landline telephone system. All ISDN and PSTN lines will be switched off. That means old copper loops, the wires we’ve all used to make phone calls for decades, won’t be available again.
The result? Now’s the time for your business to make the big switch! Don’t leave it until the last minute. You can get ahead of the curve and future-proof your business immediately. And that starts with a simple market comparison to find the best deal for your business. Prepare now for 2025! Save time, save money—compare the market.
The VoIP features you need to know about
Okay, so this is the exciting bit! If you get a VoIP system (or hosted phone system as you might also find it called) in the UK, then you’re all set to save money and make some major steps forward with your comms package.
But what’s VoIP phones’ best features for your business? It’s difficult to choose, simply because there are so many! Here’s an overview of the very best things to look forward to:
Automated attendants: This lets you transfer incoming calls to the right extension number. All without the need of a receptionist! It lets you quickly divert customers and clients to the right department. Automatically!
- Call holding: For businesses of any size, this can be a life saver. If you’re too busy, you can use this feature to park calls for a moment. Then answer it when you’re available.
- Call queuing: Another fantastic option for businesses. You can setup call queues that places everyone in a steady queue waiting in line to be answered. Handy, too, for customers because they get updates on where they are in the queue.
- On-hold music: Pick the right tune to match your business! Steer clear of Greensleeves and choose something more on-brand to keep patient callers engaged.
- Custom ringbacks: This is the brief moment where callers listen to while waiting for the other person to answer their call. Go for a memorable jingle and it sets the scene for the call ahead.
- Hot desking: Employees can use this to log into their system across every connected device. Very handy if you have remote workers or there’s lots of work travel.
- Call flipping and pulling: With this, you can take an in-progress call and shift it over to another device. Like moving from a PC call to your mobile. It may seem minor, but this could be very handy from time to time.
- A conference suite of tools: Audio and video web conferencing is pretty much standard with VoIP providers and helps you up your business game to an international standard.
- Call monitoring: You can keep track of all calls to monitor them and make sure employees are sticking to company protocol. Obviously, make sure staff members know you’re recording them! Otherwise, this is perfectly legal and helpful for your business to keep track of for quality purposes.
- Live chat: It’s a very popular choice for customers… and businesses! Whether you use a chatbot or trained staff, live chat helps people cut to the chase and solve their problems without the need for a direct call. That can free up your busy phone lines.
Pretty neat list, huh? Basically, VoIP phones are here to make your life a lot easier. They boost workplace productivity with an array of excellent options that’ll make your employees’ lives much easier.
You’ll be communicating like never have done before! And saving money into the bargain.
iCompario tip: Complete your business telecoms solution with business mobiles
In a world where remote working has seriously taken off, it’s important to be covered on all fronts. VoIP is an excellent solution to support work from home, but it may not be enough. If your employees are on the road a lot, consider business mobile contracts. The handsets you get in the deal can make a nice company perk. Or choose a business SIM-only deal and use existing mobile phones.
In need of more data for those employees who are always on the run? Check out a business data SIM and use it with a work tablet.
The business benefits of VoIP systems
There are many benefits of VoIP for your business, from money-saving through to convenience and future-proofing. Let’s take a look at the best bits!
- Save on budget: Yes, VoIP lowers costs. You don’t need private branch exchange hardware installed in your office to plug the phones into, which is a big saving. Plus, call rates are usually lower (depending on provider). There’s no denying it, use this tech and you’ll save money in the long-term. Simple as that.
- Better workforce accessibility: You can use VoIP on any type of phone or any type of internet-connected device.
- Geographic neutrality: VoIP numbers aren’t tied to countries or regions, so your business can go international while looking local.
- Higher scalability: If your small business grows, it’s very easy to expand the VoIP system as much as you want to.
- Clever features for small and large businesses: Setup an automatic receptionist to direct calls to different departments (even if the business is just you!) and also make your employees look local when they’re really in another country.
- Supports multitasking: Apart from sending any type of files, you can share them on a computer screen and both edit them at the same time. You can do this while discussing them over the phone, and switch in and out of video calls too.
- More flexibility with softphones: Softphones are software in a computer that you use instead of a traditional telephone handset. You can plug a headset into the computer for hands-free working, less noise disturbance and better sound quality in a busy office.
These are the types of features that have led to a revolution in the workplace!
From access to remote working opportunities to better productivity in the office, VoIP has been an absolute game changer for many businesses.
It’s time to save money with VoIP
Okay, so what is VoIP phones’ best package and how can you find that for your business? Well, you’re in the right place! As the best bet is to compare the market.
To find your best match:
- Enter a few details into our online form
- We’ll search the UK market
- You get tailored recommendations
It’s free to do! And you’re guaranteed the pick of the best VoIP deals, which will match your business needs. All you have to do is click the button to compare.
Read more about telecoms on iCompario
Quick Guide to the Best Broadband for Small Businesses