What is a taxi tracker?
A taxi tracker is a GPS vehicle tracking solution enabling taxi fleet managers and dispatchers to know exactly where their cabs are in real-time. The best cab trackers are easy to use and let you manage you cabs effectively.
A cab tracker can have many benefits for drivers and for taxi fleet managers. From boosting fuel efficiency, to getting to customers faster, up to insightful reports to identify areas where you can improve your operations.
Plus, many insurance providers require you to use taxi GPS trackers. But keep in mind not all GPS vehicle trackers are insurance approved. Your taxi tracker needs to be Thatcham-approved to be compliant.
The best taxi trackers in the UK
There are many taxi GPS trackers on the UK market—but do note, vehicle cab trackers aren’t to be confused with tracking apps customers use to check on the whereabouts of their ride.
So, which one do you choose? We’ve put together a list of top trackers for cabs in the UK. Here we go.
1. Atom: Most affordable taxi tracker
- Self-install option
- Insurance-approved cab tracker
- App for drivers
Atom is one of the most affordable taxi trackers you could find. And it’s insurance-approved, which is a big plus. It may be less fancy than the other two options on our list, but its features should have you covered
- Know the exact location of your cabs 24/7. A live map can be viewed in simple map mode or live satellite mode and the location is accurate to within three metres.
- Check out the journey history of your taxis for the last 30 days and easily identify any unauthorised use of your vehicles.
- Set location alerts for taxis that only operate within a certain area.
- Get speeding reports and train your taxi drivers to follow safe driving techniques.
If you’re not interested in all the advanced features of an expensive GPS tracker for taxi, the Atom could be perfect for you. It’s also the ideal choice for small businesses or self-employed taxi drivers.
But do compare the market to ensure you make the best choice.
2. CanTrack Protect – Best security solution for your taxis
- Vehicle recovery service with a 95%+ success rate
- Thatcham (S7) approved
- Secured by Design – Police approved
CanTrack Protect is the ideal choice to keep your valuable assets—your cabs—safe and secure. It comes with an advanced and powerful asset tracking device and it includes a stolen vehicle recovery service with a huge success rate.
The asset tracker is small and discreet. It doesn’t require any wiring; it attaches using a very strong magnet. That makes it easy to hide anywhere on the vehicle, so thieves cannot easily find and disable it, like they would a wired tracker.
Plus, it’s very difficult for thieves to jam or mask its signal. The chances of getting your stolen cabs back are extremely high with this tracker.
Do you need more from your vehicle tracker? The provider offers packages to combine an asset tracker and a wired vehicle tracker providing both analytical data and increased security.
With CanTrack, you can combine Atom, the affordable self-install tracking device we discussed above, with great features to help you improve your operations.
3. Kinesis Pro – Best fleet taxi GPS tracker with insightful reports
- Insurance-approved taxi tracker
- Powerful fleet telematics system
- Easily control every aspect of your fleet
Kinesis Pro is a cutting-edge telematics system for fleets with all types of vehicles. It’s packed with powerful features that make tracking and managing your taxis easier than you think it could get:
- Location tracking in real-time. Track your cabs 24/7 and filter by driver and vehicle registration. View live location on your phone, laptop or tablet using a web browser or the mobile app.
- CAN data and fault codes. Easy to stay on top of taxi maintenance and avoid costly repairs.
- Tracker for cab journey. Check out the online portal to see where your cabs have been over the past 30 days.
- Geofencing for extra security. This feature may not be useful for all taxi fleets. But if your cabs should only travel within a certain area, it’s great for added security.
- Reports on driver behaviour. That’s an important feature of any taxi tracker. Driver behaviour insights can help you train drivers to improve their driving habits, save fuel and keep customers happy.
- Integrate your fuel cards with your cab tracker. Kinesis Pro fully integrates with fuel card data. Get the most accurate MPG reporting available and start saving money on fuel.
What more could you want from your GPS tracker for taxis? The Pro has it all, but we’d still advise you to do a market comparison before making your final decision. We’re pretty good at finding the right solutions for businesses.
4. Teletrac Trackstar S7 – Great choice for cars
- Thatcham category S7
- Mobile app
- Installation by Thatcham accredited engineer
Teletrac Trackstar S7 is an excellent car, taxi, yellow cab tracker and all-rounder tracker for smaller vehicles.
The main pros on the list for Trackstar S7 include:
- It’s an insurance-approved tracker.
- You get nationwide installation from Thatcham-approved installers.
- It comes with a battery backup. Plus, you get an alert if the battery is disconnected.
- Other alerts include motion alerts and low battery alerts.
- Geofencing is included and can be useful if your taxis only operate within a certain area.
- There’s also a free app to let you easily manage your account.
Teletrac Trackstar S7 could be just the taxi GPS tracker for you. It checks the boxes. But we highly encourage you to compare the market to get the best solution to suit your business needs on your first pick.
iCompario tip: Use fuel cards for your taxi business to keep costs down
Business fuel cards are an excellent addition for any fleet, be it taxis, vans or trucks, to keep fuel expenses low. The best fuel cards can give you discounts at the pump or competitive fixed prices every week. They come with online apps to easily manage invoices, costs and fuel consumption.
Read our in-depth guide on the best fuel cards for taxi drivers and compare the market to get yours.
Advantages of using a GPS tracker for taxi
The benefits of using a taxi tracker can be huge if you choose the right tracker to suit your business needs.
Mentioning the very best advantages of them all, you have:
- Monitor your employees to ensure productivity and find new ways to increase your taxis’ efficiency.
- Provide customers with an accurate estimated time of cab’s arrival and keep them happy.
- Locate the nearest cab whenever you get a new order from a customer.
- Optimise your routes. Your drivers will get traffic updates and will be able to choose the best routes saving fuel and time in the process and reducing delays.
- Save money by increasing productivity and optimising fuel consumption.
- Locate and recover your taxi in case it gets stolen.
- Reduce operational expenses.
- A cab tracker can give you a better chance of being on top in this industry.
- Take advantage of insightful reports to make your business more competitive.
- Keep your vehicles in top shape with vehicle maintenance reports.
- Taxi trackers can discourage vehicle thieves from breaking into your vehicle.
Many insurance providers may get you a discount if you use a taxi GPS tracker.
In the end, it’s up to you to unlock all the advantages. A good cab tracker can give you all the tools and reports you need to achieve great performance, increase efficiency and productivity and raise your business to the top.
The difference between wired vehicle trackers and magnetic asset trackers and how to choose
Asset trackers usually do just that, track the location of your vehicle. Whereas traditional vehicle trackers provide analytical data based on which you can improve certain aspects of your operations.
Asset trackers can be installed anywhere on the vehicle with the help of a magnet. They usually have a long battery life of up to five years. They are extremely hard to locate by thieves.
Wired vehicle trackers are connected to the vehicle’s electrical system and can be more easily disconnected and removed.
Which one you choose is up to you and your needs. If you’re after the data, traditional vehicle trackers are the ideal choice. If you’re after security and better chances to get your vehicle back in case of theft, an asset tracker may be the best bet.
Or look for packages that combine the two and it’s a win-win situation.
Let’s get you a good taxi tracker
It’s now time to compare the market and find your taxi tracker.
Find the best tracker for your business by hitting the orange button below. It’ll lead you to a form asking for a few details about your business needs. Fill those in and we’ll search the market for you and get you the best recommendation for your business.
It’ll save you time and guarantee you a great GPS tracker for taxi. Get started!
Read more about vehicle tracking on iCompario
The Business Benefits of Live Vehicle Tracking Systems
Estimated time of arrival: The business benefits of giving ETAs
A Guide to Getting the Best Vehicle Tracking in London
Top 6 Benefits Of GPS Trackers For Cars