Driver ID: The Key Fobs and Cards for Individual Driver Tracking
If you’re a fleet manager looking to know exactly what’s going on with your vehicles, then driver ID is a great choice for you.
This telematics device for businesses lets you easily find any issues and address them fast. You can even use them to reduce costs and increase security! Read on for all the details or compare the market now to get instant deals.
What’s driver ID? And why does your business need it?
A Driver’s ID is a telematics feature. The most common form of ID is the simple key fob. As a fleet manager, or business owner, you can give your drivers a key fob that connects to a vehicle.
It’s available with Bluetooth technology and keycodes. Whatever form you choose, it can be used to track your fleet online. With a fob, keypad or keyless entry tech you’ll get real-time insights about your drivers and what they’re up to during the working day.
While telematics is great and gives you all sorts of details about your vehicles, you don’t really get too much information about your drivers.
And if there are different drivers using the same vehicle from day-to-day, it’s good business practice to have an ID system in place. That way you can:
- Follow which driver is using a vehicle at any given time.
- Determine if they’re following your driving policies.
- Monitor the likes of idle time, stopping times and the distance each driver is covering.
It’s legal to do this, too, you just need to instruct your drivers on why you’re doing this. And how to use the identification tool you choose.
Just to be clear on this, too, the ID has nothing to do with a driver’s license. That’s a different thing altogether. What you’re dealing with here is simply a nifty telematics device that provides greater control over your fleet.
The types of driver tracking available to your fleet
There are a few types your business can choose from, so let’s take a look at them.
Driver ID key fobs
These are the most common types available. With driver ID key fobs, you can choose how many you want. You can then assign the fobs to your drivers and track their usage on your online account system.
All your driver has to do is use the fob on their vehicle to flag up they’re the one in possession of a vehicle.
Driver ID cards
These are cards your drivers can carry around with them and use to identify themselves in your online system.
Keypads or keyless entry technology
This can use a smartphone, with a driver using an app to connect to the vehicle and indicate they’re now driving the vehicle.
It’s a handy option as drivers don’t need to carry keys around with them. Then, everything will be accessible on their phone.
How Driver ID management works
Once you’ve got the likes of driver ID, you can choose how many you want. You can then assign the fobs to your drivers and track their usage on your online account system.
How much data you receive depends on which online account management provider you choose.
You can expect to see a tracking system where you can monitor which driver is using which car, where they drive, and timesheets. Other systems go more in-depth and include a driving style analysis, route tracking with a map, and more.
iCompario tip: Vehicle tracking is essential for fleets
Any modern fleet will need business vehicle tracking. You can use this cutting-edge technology to keep track of all your drivers and your vehicle health.
Use data to reduce fuel consumption costs, insurance charges and your vehicle maintenance repairs. From car and van tracking to alerts for bad driving or accidents, this tech will put you in charge so you can get from A-B with the minimum of hassle.
The business benefits of driver ID
Why, then, should your business fork out for these little fobs? Plenty of reasons! Alongside money-saving and added security, there are a few other benefits that may surprise you:
- Detailed hassle-free admin: Using your online management system, you can see who is driving, where, and how. This information lets you know where the problems are and what changes can be made all in one place.
- Extra security: How do you know who is behind the wheel? It can be an extra security measure to ensure safe fleet management, as only your registered drivers will be able to clock into your vehicles.
- Reduce fuel costs: Your online ID system can be filtered by driver, so you can analyse behaviour and discover steps for improvements. Some systems include in-built reports for driver feedback to reduce your business’ fuel usage.
- Accountability: By tracking individual drivers, you’ll always be able to apply accountability to the right driver in the event of an incident (such as an accident).
- Improve driver performance: By tracking individual drivers, you can ensure they’re sticking to your driving guidelines. Bad driving costs your business money, but with an identification system you’ll be able to ensure all your drivers are representing your business properly on the UK roads.
There you have it! Money-saving opportunities and a system to ensure your business stays professional when out and about.
Any business can take advantage of this technology, from major organisations travelling nationwide, to small businesses with a local operation.
iCompario tip: Fuel cards will also lower your expenses
You can also deck your fleet our with business fuel cards to cut down on costs. You can hand these to your drivers and they can refuel at stations with a card provider’s network—usually 100s across the UK.
You can get discounts at the pump and fixed billing, putting you in complete control of your fuel expenses. All while letting your drivers easily pay without needing to faff about with loose change or receipts. Hit the button to compare deals.
Get your driver IDs now
Now’s the time to compare the market to find fantastic deals on fleet telematics. All you have to do is:
- Enter your business details.
- Wait for your results.
- Pick from the best deals.
As simple as one-two-three. It’s free to perform a UK market comparison and it’ll find you deals in seconds. Hit the button to get started.