International Fuel Cards: Keeping Fuel Costs Down Abroad
- Benefit from great fuel discounts anywhere in the world
- Pay for fuel, toll roads and Eurovignettes with the same card
- Get all your fuel payments in one invoice for simple tax returns
Does your company use business vehicles? Is your business specialised in the transport of goods, perhaps? Are you a sole trader always on the road? Using fuel cards can save money and generally make company management easier. If you operate exclusively within the UK, then you have many fuel card options to choose from.
But what if you also operate outside of the UK? With many fuel cards limited to use inside the country, you might wonder about the best way to proceed. In this article, we’re going to cover international fuel cards. Let’s see why they’re so useful, what options are available to you, and how you can take advantage.
|Fuel Card Name||Key Benefit||Stations in Network|
|Refuel in 21 European countries||Over 9,000 stations across Europe|
|Use it to pay for fuel, Eurovignette and toll roads in Europe||Over 14,000 stations in Europe|
|Perfect for businesses operating in ROI and NI||Over 1,100 stations in the network|
Are international fuel cards worth it?
If your business takes you on the continent more than often, an international fuel card can be a real gem.
Long trips across Europe can take you through more than one country. And each country will have different pricing structures for motorists. It can quickly get confusing, especially when you’re trying to stay within a budget.
This is why an international fuel card is worth it:
- It’s easier to deal with all the different currencies. The UK still uses the British Pound, but most countries in Europe use the Euro. And if we factor in the other countries that use their national currencies, it can get overwhelming.
- Imagine what hassle it can be to deal with fuel receipts in multiple languages and currencies. A real headache even for the best skilled admins. Using an international fuel card can reduce the complexity of operating across national borders, making life easier for your drivers and saving you money in the process.
How about a fuel card service, international options included? Well, there are a few good options you can choose from. And we’ll talk about the advantages and disadvantages of each card service for international fuel.
Also, read about the best European fuel card if you want to research further.
Having fuel cards can save your business money, do your driver fuel expenses claims automatically and make it a 30-second job to reclaim your fuel VAT. As a free comparison site, iCompario can find you offers on cards from all the big oil companies or multi-brand cards, and deals with no minimum purchase or tie-in contracts.
Choosing an international fuel card
Let’s take a look at the international fuel cards available, their main features and benefits.
EDC Fuel Card
The EDC fuel card is the European Diesel Card, and the name is fairly clear about what it offers.
If your fleet runs on diesel, you can use this international fuel card to get great fuel prices at over 9,000 sites (including supermarket and Texaco pumps among others) throughout Europe.
To name some of its greatest benefits:
- Perfect choice for HGVs and coach companies
- Access to 9,729 stations across Europe
- Can be used to pay for fuel, as well as for Eurovignette and toll roads
- There’s no minimum spend, which makes it a great choice for both sole traders and fleets
- The Velocity management system makes it easy to keep everything in check
Esso Europe Fuel Card
The Esso Europe Fuel Card grants you access to Esso and Shell pumps throughout the continent. So, you basically get 2-in-1 with this Esso and Shell international fuel card.
Key benefits of this international fuel card include:
- Esso and Shell international fuel card, which can be used at over 14,000 stations across Europe
- Use it to pay for Eurovignette and toll roads
- Pay weekly fixed competitive fuel prices when you refill
- Manage all invoices and expenses easily with the Velocity management system
DCI Fuel Card
Travelling abroad doesn’t necessarily mean travelling to the continent. Travelling to Ireland is just as abroad and the DCI fuel card has you covered for your trips to Ireland.
Here’s why it’s the best choice for businesses operating in ROI and NI:
- Refill at 340+ sites across Northern Ireland and 1,145 sites in the Republic of Ireland
- Use the DCI fuel card at major stations like Circle K, Top, Texaco, Emo, Maxol, Campus, Amber Oil
- Buy fuel at highly competitive fuel prices with no minimum spend
- DCI cards are PIN protected and can be managed remotely at any time online
How to get an international fuel card
Now you have your options and you know the major benefits of each one, it’s time to make a choice.
There are other things you should consider before making your final pick: the industry you’re operating in, the size of your company, the size of your fleet, the type of your business vehicles. Once you’ve put together all the bits and bobs, compare the market to find the right international fuel card for you.
Seems overly complicated? This is where we can help. We’re experts at comparing the market and matching the right fuel card to the right business needs. Just give us a few details about your business and we’ll find the right international fuel card for you.
Finding the best suited fuel card for your business is now easier than it’s ever been.
Read more about fuel cards on iCompario
Benefits of Fuel Cards
Best Diesel Cards For UK Businesses
Best Fuel Cards for Small Businesses in the UK
Electric Fuel Cards for Business Guide